This book tells the tale of the WHO neighborhood workplace for Europe from its beginnings to its country in 2010. a manner of maintaining alive and handing at the historical past of this workplace and its very important paintings, it covers 5 WHO neighborhood administrators for Europe and hundreds of thousands of committed employees, let alone the loads of programes and regulations they helped to create and perform. An past booklet lined the 1st forty years intimately; this ebook focuses extra at the final two decades. it's a tale of ways the local place of work has spent the prior 60 years operating to aid increase the healthiness of the folk within the big zone that it serves.
By Conor Kostick
The crusades are frequently obvious as epitomising a interval whilst hostility among Christian West and the Muslim close to East reached an all time excessive. As this edited quantity finds, although, the period used to be one that observed either clash and cohabitation.
Tackling such questions as even if medicinal and architectural ideas got here to Europe as a right away results of the Crusades, and why and the way peace treaties and intermarriages have been shaped among the various cultures, this distinctive staff of participants demonstrate how the Holy Wars led at the one hand to a reinforcement of the ideals and identities of every facet, yet at the different to a becoming point of cultural trade and interplay. This quantity breaks new flooring in not just exploring the clash among the Christian and the Muslim worlds, but additionally the influence of this clash at the cultural evolution of eu and close to japanese idea and practices. applying the newest scholarship and unique experiences of the assets, this survey sheds new gentle at the cultural realities of East-West kinfolk and marks a brand new departure for experiences of the crusades.
Contributors contain John France, Yehoshua Frenkel, Chris Wright, Natasha Hodgson, A.V. Murray, Sini Kangas, Léan Ní Chléirigh, Susan Edgington, Jürgen Krüger, Yvonne Friedman and Bernard Hamilton.
• Make your journey to Spain unforgettable with illustrated gains, maps, and colour photos.
Customize your journey with uncomplicated making plans tools
• most sensible stories & points of interest
• handy evaluation of every zone and its highlights
• Easy-to-read colour nearby maps
Explore Spain and past
• Discerning Fodor’s selection alternatives for resorts, eating places, points of interest, and extra
• “Word of Mouth” information from fellow Fodor’s tourists
• Illustrated good points at the Prado Museum, the wines of Spain, Gaudi, flamenco, the Alhambra, tapas, and Basque kingdom
• top shorelines, top eating places, top tapas spots, and top accommodations
Opinions from vacation spot experts
• Fodor’s Spain-based writers demonstrate their favourite neighborhood haunts
• Revised every year to supply the newest details
A better half to Europe considering 1945 presents a stimulating consultant to various vital advancements that have stimulated the political, fiscal, social, and cultural personality of Europe in the course of and because the chilly struggle.
- Includes 22 unique essays through a world staff of professional scholars
- Examines the social, highbrow, monetary, cultural, and political adjustments that happened all through Europe within the chilly battle and submit chilly battle periods
- Discusses quite a lot of issues together with the one marketplace, European-American family members, kinfolk existence and employment, globalization, intake, political events, eu decolonization, eu id, protection and defence guidelines, and Europe's struggle opposed to foreign terrorism
- Presents Europe in a huge geographical perception, to offer equivalent weighting to advancements within the japanese and Western eu states
By John Freely
Aladdin’s Lamp is the attention-grabbing tale of the way old Greek philosophy and technology begun within the 6th century B.C. and, through the subsequent millennium, unfold around the Greco-Roman international, generating the notable discoveries and theories of Thales, Pythagoras, Hippocrates, Plato, Aristotle, Euclid, Archimedes, Galen, Ptolemy, and so forth. John Freely explains how, because the darkish a long time shrouded Europe, students in medieval Baghdad translated the works of those Greek thinkers into Arabic, spreading their principles during the Islamic international from vital Asia to Spain, with many Muslim scientists, so much particularly Avicenna, Alhazen, and Averroës, including their very own interpretations to the philosophy and technology they'd inherited. Freely is going directly to express how, starting within the 12th century, those texts through Islamic students have been then translated from Arabic into Latin, sparking the emergence of contemporary technology on the sunrise of the Renaissance, which climaxed within the clinical Revolution of the 17th century.
Here is early technology in all its glory, from Pythagorean “celestial concord” to the sun-centered planetary conception of Copernicus, who, in 1543, aided through the mathematical tools of medieval Arabic astronomers, revived an idea proposed through the Greek astronomer Aristarchus a few eighteen centuries ahead of. whilst Newton laid the principles of contemporary technological know-how, development at the paintings of Copernicus, Tycho Brahe, Kepler, Galileo, and others, he stated that he was once “standing at the sholders [sic] of Giants,” concerning his predecessors in old Greece and within the Arabic and Latin worlds from the center a long time during the Renaissance.
Caliph Harun al-Rashid used to be one of many Muslim rulers who first promoted translating Greek texts into Arabic. His Baghdad is the surroundings for The Thousand and One Nights, during which Scheherazades’s “Tale of Aladdin and His Magic Lamp” displays the marvels of the hot technology and the fantastic innovations it used to be acknowledged to provide. John Freely’s Aladdin’s Lamp returns us to that point and brings to gentle a necessary and long-overlooked bankruptcy within the heritage of technology.
By Aleksandra Galasinska, Michal Krzyzanowski, Sue Wright, Helen Kelly-Holmes
This quantity explores the discursive nature of post-1989 social swap in relevant and jap Europe. via a suite of nationwide case experiences, the development of post-communist transformation is explored from the perspective of increasing and particular dynamics of linguistic and discursive practices.
Fodor’s correspondents spotlight the easiest of Switzerland, together with the majestic Swiss Alps, captivating villages and lakeside vistas, and Zürich's cultural riches. Our neighborhood specialists vet each advice to make sure you utilize it slow, even if it’s your first journey or your fifth.
MUST-SEE sights from Lake Geneva to the Matterhorn
ideal inns for each finances
top eating places to fulfill more than a few tastes
lovely gains on teach rides, climbing, and fondue
useful pointers on while to move and how you can save
INSIDER standpoint from neighborhood experts
colour photographs AND MAPS to motivate and consultant your journey
The peace treaties represented a nearly most unlikely try to remedy the issues as a result of a murderous international warfare. In The lighting that Failed: eu foreign background 1919-1933, a part of the Oxford heritage of contemporary Europe sequence, Steiner demanding situations the typical assumption that the Treaty of Versailles ended in the outlet of a moment eu warfare. In a greatly unique method, this publication characterizes the Nineteen Twenties now not as a annoyed prelude to a moment international clash yet as a desirable decade in its personal correct, while politicians and diplomats strove to re-assemble a workable ecu order. Steiner examines the efforts that failed but in addition these which gave wish for destiny promise, lots of that are frequently underestimated, if now not overlooked. She exhibits that an equilibrium used to be completed, attained among a partial American withdrawal from Europe and the self-imposed constraints which the Soviet approach imposed on exporting revolution. The stabilization painfully completed in Europe reached it fragile limits after 1925, even ahead of the monetary crises that engulfed the continent. The hinge years among the nice crash of 1929 and Hitler's success of energy in 1933 devastatingly altered the stability among nationalism and internationalism. This wide-ranging examine is helping us take hold of the decisive phases during this approach.
In a moment quantity, The Triumph of the evening , Steiner will study the fast lead as much as the second one international conflict and its early years.
By Lonely Planet, Isabella Noble
Lonely Planet: The world's top commute advisor publisher
Lonely Planet Spain is your passport to the main suitable, up to date recommendation on what to determine and pass, and what hidden discoveries watch for you. surprise on the beautiful perfection of the Alhambra, hike the Pyrenean excessive state and laze at the Mediterranean's top seashores; all together with your relied on go back and forth significant other. Get to the guts of Spain and start your trip now!
Inside Lonely Planet's Spain go back and forth Guide:
- Colour maps and pictures all through
- Highlights and itineraries assist you tailor your journey for your own wishes and pursuits
- Insider tips to avoid wasting time and cash and get round like an area, fending off crowds and bother spots
- Essential info at your fingertips - hours of operation, mobile numbers, web pages, transit suggestions, costs
- Honest studies for all budgets - consuming, snoozing, sight-seeing, going out, buying, hidden gemstones that almost all guidebooks leave out
- Cultural insights provide you with a richer, extra worthwhile go back and forth adventure - heritage, structure, paintings, bullfighting, politics, foodstuff, Basque tradition, flamenco, open air actions, politics
- Free, handy pull-out Barcelona map (included in print version), plus over 100 colour maps
- Covers Madrid, Castilla y Leon, Castilla-La Mancha, Barcelona, Catalonia, Aragon, Basque kingdom, Navarra, Seville, Granada, Cantabria, Asturias, Santiago de Compostela, Galicia, Valencia, Mallorca, Ibiza, AndalucÃa, Extremadura and extra
The excellent selection: Lonely Planet Spain, our so much accomplished consultant to Spain, is ideal for either exploring most sensible attractions and taking roads much less travelled
- Looking for a advisor occupied with Barcelona or Madrid? try out Lonely Planet's Barcelona and Lonely Planet's Madrid courses for a complete examine these kinds of towns need to provide; Discover Barcelona, a photo-rich consultant to the city's preferred sights; or Pocket Barcelona and Pocket Madrid, handy-sized publications all in favour of the can't-miss attractions for a fast journey.
- Looking for extra large insurance? try out Lonely Planet's Western Europe guide for a finished examine all Western Europe has to provide.
Authors: Written and researched through Lonely Planet, Regis St Louis, Anthony Ham, Brendan Sainsbury, Stuart Butler, Kerry Christiani, Andy Symington, Josephine Quintero and Isabella M F Noble.
About Lonely Planet: Since 1973, Lonely Planet has turn into the world's top shuttle media corporation with guidebooks to each vacation spot, an award-winning web site, cellular and electronic trip items, and a committed tourist group. Lonely Planet covers must-see spots but additionally allows curious visitors to get off crushed paths to appreciate extra of the tradition of the areas during which they locate themselves.
By Rick Steves
With the self-guided excursions during this booklet, you’ll discover historical enormous Ben, bustling Trafalgar sq., and the Tower of London—home of the crown jewels. find out how to shop time and cash at the Tube, and the way to prevent the mobs on the altering of the defend. examine London’s world-class museums, the place you could hint Western civilization from the Magna Carta and Shakespeare to Van Gogh and Picasso. enterprise into Soho’s theater district for a glitzy musical or a scrumptious Indian dinner. finish a very good day at an area pub, sharing a pint and a talk with a pleasant local.
Rick’s candid, funny recommendation will advisor you to good-value lodges and eating places in pleasant London neighborhoods. You’ll the right way to get round via bus and at the Tube, and which points of interest are worthy a while and cash. greater than simply reports and instructions, a Rick Steves guidebook is a journey consultant on your pocket.